He's back!!!

He's back!!!
HE'S BACK!!!!!

Monday, December 3, 2012

Habarigani?! (Hows it going? / Whats the news?)

Hello.  So I went to the doctor today and they told me that I will have surgery on Wednesday to fix my pinkie finger.   . ..  so yeah  .. Should be pretty simple.  Hopefully.  Swahili is crazy.  Jina lako ni nani?  (that means what's your name?)   . . .   Mimi ni natoka Mmerikani.  (that means "I come from the United States(America).")  . . .    I am trying to learn a lot, but my brain just can't handle it sometimes. .  When I get to about 19 words while memorizing them, and keep going, I can't fit them in....  But I try to push past it anyway.  It's been about 4 days and I have learned 61 words, along with some other random words and phrases and I have learned some grammar and conjugations of verbs and stuff. ..     but not too much. . .  (Hapana kidogo.)    . .    Ugh . . and I don't have much time to write today because I spent 45 minutes filling out online paperwork for the surgery on Wednesday  .. .  So yeah.
What has happened  . ..  .hmmmmm
Well first off, thanks for all your emails! You are all awesome!  I miss you all .   Especially with the Christmas season coming up.  I'll be thinking of you guys.  I'll also get to call you!  Or maybe even skype..  we'll see.  

This week was transfers.  The night we got here we took one of the members to the hospital.  He had a stroke about 3 years ago, and didnt have any medicine left so he was really sick.  . .  So that was interesting . . especially when him and his wife speak swahili and very, very little english..  . .   ha ha but it worked out okay in the end.. He is doing better now.  
Hmm what else?

Well, we taught some lessons to investigators with translators that speak different tribal languages, french, swahili, english, and other crazy languages like lingalik.  Its pretty crazy out here. But yesterday was fast and testimony meeting and it was pretty cool!  The branch is swahili, so the speakers usually speak swahili, or french, or english..  So I don't understand much of the meeting.  . . . Church is pretty different . . The youth out here are very disrespectful.   They talk in their classes and leave and come in whenever they want and are ALWAYS on their phones. ..  .  Plus they always have a stupid response to what the teacher is saying.  We taught one class yesterday at church and it was nuts.  No respect.  We were teaching the word of wisdom because at the moment every single youth in that class drink alcohol except for 1 (Pascal - a recent convert who is such a boss...He is only 16 but is super excited to go on a mission!) .  ..  They wouldn't listen.  It was very frustrating. They still think drinking is okay.  They said that champagne is just apple juice and won't get you drunk!  Hahaha  . . . yeah right.  And we tell them that it is not allowed and they ignore us.  They are pretty stubborn, but the swahili people as a whole are soo awesome!  Nicest people ever.  They love everyone.  They are great.  Im excited to work with them!  I think I want to stay in this area for 6 months and then come back here for the last 3 months of my mission as well.  Hopefully that can happen :)  I'll cross my fingers.  

Pia (also) I met an older gentleman named Brother Hansen.  He is awesome.  He is making us business cards!  Apparently he does that for a lot of missionaries around here... :) he is a great man.  I think we will be friends and stay in contact even after my mission.  He is awesome.  

Alright.  I don't know what else to say.  My companion is freaking sweet.  Elder Helmstetter from Orange County California.  He is 24 yrs old.  His leg is pretty screwed up . . just the muscle is torn in a lot of places . .   but I think he'll survive.  He will have physical therapy to try to help it.    He has already owned a company and done a lot of cool stuff before his mission.  He is a convert of about 5 years.  . .  I love him . . We are going to have a lot of fun together and we will get a lot of work done as well.   

Okay.  I don't have time to write anymore.  I love you all though!  Hope you are having a wonderful Christmas season!  The lights at temple square are beautiful.  . .    I love it.

Keep it real.
Tutaonana! (See you!)

Kwaheri. (Goodbye)

Godspeed.

-Elder Hansen

Peak The Strategy

No comments:

Post a Comment